Holby City stars who slammed show after axe – ‘bulls**t decision’ to ‘suing BBC’

Holby City first launched on television screens on January 12 1999.

The medical drama ran for 23 years until BBC bosses revealed the show would conclude with its 23rd series.

A decision was made as part of plans from the broadcaster to make more programmes across the country with the intention to better reflect it.

READ MORE: Holby City's Jac Naylor slams BBC bosses for 'bulls**t' decision to axe series

An official press release statement thanked the entire cast and crew for their work on the serial and promised that it would "[go] out on a high".

The show's cancellation received a backlash from critics, fans and cast members.

Fans of the show launched a Change.org petition to save Holby City and it reached over 30,000 signatures in a matter of days.

Daily Star has taken a look back on what some sacked stars have said about the decision to axe the show on what would have been Holby's 24th anniversary.

'No one knew a thing'

Dominic Copeland actor David Ames revealed the cast were not aware the show was coming to an end before the announcement was made.

The actor admitted he had "absolutely no idea" the medical drama was coming to an end.

When asked by Lorraine Kelly if the cast got a "feeling" it was going to happen, the actor – who joined the soap in 2013 – said: "We had absolutely no idea. Absolutely none."

"I remember I had a brief text chat with Russell T Davies about this, and he said, 'Normally you hear a little rumbling somewhere. Somebody will know something.'

"No one knew a thing. It was just one of those things."

'Strange decision'

Guy Henry, who played Henrick Hanssen, previously said he thought it was a "strange decision" to cancel the BBC series.

He played the role for over a decade and apologised to show's fans for the programme ending.

When asked if he had a final message for the fans of the show, he told Digital Spy at the time: "I'm sorry people have been so upset, which they are. It's a strange decision to cancel the show and I'm sorry for it.

"But thanks for all the kindness and loyalty the fans have shown and the enjoyment they've given us. Thank you very much."

'Absolute bulls**t'

Rosie Marcel played was surgeon Jac Taylor for 17 years before the character was killed off in the final episode in March 2022.

Speaking about the shoe ending, the actress said: "Holby was never this big, publicised show. Should it have had more publicity? F*** yes, absolutely. Excuse my language.

"And could the BBC have done more? Oh God absolutely. Absolutely. It’s bulls**t."

"If we are going to call a spade a spade, let’s absolutely do it. I have no need to be loyal at the moment. They killed a show they shouldn’t have killed.

"They just didn’t want to spend any money on it any more. I think it is down to money.

"There’s not one person to blame, but I wish they had seen it more for what it was."

'A real shame'

Pearl Chanda was also not happy about the BBC's decision to end the soap.

The actress , who made her TV debut on the hospital series in 2013 as character Imogen Parker, previously said she believes it is "a real shame" that the channel was getting rid of the much-loved show.

She told Express.co.uk: "I’m a real lover of soaps and I think that kind of television really helps to bring audiences together.

"They can explore things through those shows in a really interesting way because the audiences are so large.

"I think it is a real shame that any show like that is cut short."

'Suing BBC'

It was reported in April last year that sacked Holby City stars were set to sue the BBC after the broadcaster pulled the soap without warning.

Many actors voiced feeling 'betrayed' because they thought the soap opera would run for years to come and give them "security and career development".

Bosses allegedly sent cast and crew an email suggesting they could now enjoy “a well-deserved break.”

A BBC spokesperson said at the time: "We are so proud of what Holby City has achieved over 23 years.

"The passion and commitment that the cast and crew invested in the show right up to the final days of filming was incredible – as anyone who watched Tuesday’s emotional farewell will confirm."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here

READ NEXT:

  • Holby City's Jac Naylor star uses 'medical knowledge' to help bloodied man

  • Former Holby City actress Rosie Marcel rushed to hospital in own health drama

  • Casualty stars fearing BBC show will be axed by bosses – just like Holby City

Source: Read Full Article