TV legend Larry King dies aged 87

TV icon and legendary presenter Larry King has died, aged 87.

The star’s reps confirmed he died in Cedars Sinai hospital, in LA.

They shared the sad news in a lengthy statement, posted on his social media pages.

‘With profound sadness, Ora Media announces the death of our co-founder, host and friend Larry King, who passed away this morning at age 87 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles,’ it began.

‘For 63 years and across the platforms of radio, television and digital media, Larry’s many thousands of interviews, awards and global acclaim stand as a testament to his unique and lasting talent as a broadcaster. 

‘Additionally, while it was his name appearing in the shows’ titles, Larry always viewed his interview subjects as the true stars of his programmes, and himself merely an unbiased conduit between the guests and audience.

‘Whether he was interviewing a US president, foreign leader, celebrity, scandal-ridden personage, or an everyman, Larry liked to ask short, direct, and uncomplicated questions.

‘He believed concise questions usually provided the best answers, and he was not wrong in that belief.

‘Larry’s interviews from his 25-year run on CNN’s “Larry King Live” and his Ora Media programmes “Larry King Now” and Politicking with Larry King” are consistently referenced by media outlets around the world and remain part of the historical record of the late 20th and earliest 21st centuries.’

It continued: ‘Ora Media sends our condolences to his surviving children, Larry, Jr, Chance, Cannon and the entire King family.

‘Funeral arrangements and a memorial service will be announced later in coordination with the King family, who ask for their privacy at this time.’

Larry’s cause of death has not yet been confirmed.

Tributes poured in for the Larry King Live star on social media, with Piers Morgan leading condolences.

Sharing a snap of the late star on Twitter, he simply penned: ‘RIP Larry King, 87. A television legend.’

Larry recently left fans concerned when he was admitted to hospital on New Year’s Eve, after contracting coronavirus.

He was initially receiving oxygen in intensive care, but doctors later said that he had been moved out of the ward and was breathing on his own.

His age and previous health issues meant he was at a high risk of the virus – after suffering a heart attack in 1987, being diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1999 and lung cancer in 2017, and suffering a near-fatal stroke just two years ago.

Source: Read Full Article